On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 13:29, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 10:58, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Let's say I wait and see! and go to the money exchange if necessary. You
>>> are posing a different problem, one in which the number of copies on a
>>> particular branch is increased. That is incompatible with MWI and Everett
>>> with non-degenerate eigenvalues.
>>>
>>> You don't avoid the dualist implications of self-selection by increasing
>>> the number of copies: the example with 52 cards says everything that is
>>> necessary.
>>>

>> From what I understand of your position, you would claim that the 1 in
>> 10^100 copy will screw up the very concept of probability. If that extra
>> copy did not exist, you would take dollars, because you will certainly need
>> dollars; but with the extra copy you would just throw up your hands and say
>> you don't know what to do, because it is certain you will need dollars and
>> euros.
>>

> My complaint about your example is that you are changing the problem --
> you are changing the probabilities in a way that is incompatible with both
> the Schrodinger equation and the Born rule.

I thought you were talking about probabilities in general where the
observer is duplicated because you have a problem with self-sampling. Do
you think it makes a difference if there is a 1/2 event, a 1/52 event or a
1/10^100 event? Would the 1/10^100 event cause your metaphysical problem,
such that ignoring it requires an assumption of an immaterial soul?

But there could be more moderate examples of branch duplication that would

--
Stathis Papaioannou