On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 8:49 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 13:29, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> From what I understand of your position, you would claim that the 1 in
>>> 10^100 copy will screw up the very concept of probability. If that extra
>>> copy did not exist, you would take dollars, because you will certainly need
>>> dollars; but with the extra copy you would just throw up your hands and say
>>> you don't know what to do, because it is certain you will need dollars and
>>> euros.
>>>

>> My complaint about your example is that you are changing the problem --
>> you are changing the probabilities in a way that is incompatible with both
>> the Schrodinger equation and the Born rule.
>>

> I thought you were talking about probabilities in general where the
> observer is duplicated because you have a problem with self-sampling. Do
> you think it makes a difference if there is a 1/2 event, a 1/52 event or a
> 1/10^100 event? Would the 1/10^100 event cause your metaphysical problem,
> such that ignoring it requires an assumption of an immaterial soul?

As I suspected, you are simply avoiding the basic question, which is "Is
MWI (Everett) consistent with the Born rule?". In order to approach this
problem, we have to look at probabilities and duplication as implied by
Everettian QM. You have lost track of this by making up extreme examples
and asking the wrong questions.

We can return to the initial problem if you are interested. But I doubt
that you are really going to engage with the case that I have made. If
every outcome occurs on every trial, each outcome individually has
unit probability -- it certainly occurs. This is incompatible with the Born
rule. (Do low probability outcomes certainly occur?)

Bruce