On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 11:37 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

* >That the Born rule doesn't derive from the Schroedinger equation doesn't
> bother me. *

We don't need to derive the Born Rule from the Schroedinger equation or
from anything else to know it's true because we already know from
experimentation that it's true. But Copenhagen, Many Worlds, Pilot Wave and
every other quantum interpretation needs to derive the Born Rule to prove
that it has the right interpretation. If Many Worlds hasn't managed to
achieve that high goal it has at least come closer to doing so than any
other interpretation, at least so far.

* > Gleason's theorem guarantees it's the only consistent probability
> measure in the eigenstates of an observable.  The question seems to be why
> is there probability at all. *

Yes!

> * > But I see the unpredictability of measured values and that intrinsic
> randomness is necessary to protect relativity theory.*

I see it is simply a result of the fact that you can't be sure where you
are until you open your eyes and look, aka make an observation. If I use
Bruno's patented You Duplicating Machine then even after Brent Meeker has
been duplicated "You" will not know if "you" are in Moscow or Washington
until "you" open the door of the duplicating chamber and look out; until
that point "you" could be said to exist in both cities, or in neither city,
or in whatever place you happen to be thinking about because contrary to
what generations have been taught in grammar school "you" Is not a pronoun,
"you"  is an adjective; you are the way matter behaves when it is organized
in a Brentmeekerian way. And until the instant the doors are open and the 2
see 2 different things those 2 chunks of matter have the same memories and
behave exactly the same way.

John K Clark