> On 10 Mar 2021, at 00:03, Tomas Pales <litewav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The law of identity determines what can possibly exist, namely that which is
> identical to itself. But what is the difference between a possibly existing
> object and a "really" existing object? I see no difference, and hence all
> possible objects exist, necessarily.

But what is an object? I agree that Unicorn can exist, in the mind of some
people, or in a dream, but most would say that Unicorn do no exist, because
being fictional is part of their definition. Or take a square circle, or a dog
which is also a cat…

The interesting things is what is the minimal amount of things that we have to
assume in a theory so that we can derive the existence of all appearances, and
of the laws to which they obey? How to get consciousness, how to get the
appearance of matter and of physical laws. Assuming Mechanism, it can be proved
that any Turing universal machinery will do the job, and that makes Mechanism
testable: drive physics and compare with the observation.

What must be searched is to relate the different notion of existence that we
are willing to make sense of.

> To which someone might say something like: "But there is a red car parked in
> front of my house. Isn't it possible that, at this moment, a blue car would
> be parked there instead? Then the blue car would be a possible object that
> obviously doesn't exist." Um, no. A red car can't be blue; that would be a
> contradiction, a violation of the law of identity,

Why? A red can which is blue can be identical with itself. All odd natural
number solution to 2x = x + 1 are equal to itself, despite not existing. Your
self-identity criteria is too weak for being a criteria of existence.

> and hence impossible. A blue car might be parked in front of my house in a
> different possible world but then we are talking about a different world, and
> not really about my house either but rather about a copy of my house in that
> other world - and the fact that you can't see that other world is not a proof
> that it doesn't exist.

OK with this.

Bruno