> On 14 Mar 2021, at 15:56, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 5:24 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>

> I comment both Benjamin and Lawrence.
>

>> On 12 Mar 2021, at 16:56, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 4:30:26 PM UTC-6 medinuclear wrote:
>> [Brent Meeker]
>>
>> “https://alwaysasking.com/
>> <https://alwaysasking.com/>why-does-anything-exist/#A_Story_of_Creation”
>>
>> [Philip Benjamin] If nothing ever existed, nothing can exist today. “Ex
>> nihilo, nihil fit” (Parmenides).
>>

> OK. Key point.
>

>> Laws of any kind necessarily requires the existence of a conscious Law Giver.
>>

> But here I disagree. Consciousness will be the non provable truth (about
> machine and by machine) related to their belief in some reality including
> oneself. Introspective machine/number can’t miss it.
>

> What is it that makes the truths concerning consciousness unprovable?

The truth concerning consciousness is provable in a (or the) theory of
consciousness (given by the sound machine).

The truth of “the fact of my consciousness here and now”, for example, is shown
to be true and non provable by the machine, a bit like the truth of the
consistency of the (sound) machine cannot be made by the machine itself.

> Is it unprovable only by that machine where another entity using another more
> powerful system could prove it?

It is knowable-for-sure by the machine (indeed it is the only thing which is
knowable-for-sure), but the machine can know that it is not rationally knowable
or justifiable. It belongs to a variant of a G* minus G type of proposition.

> Is it a consequence of self reference?

It is indeed a consequence of the mathematics of self-reference, together with
the classical definition of Plato and the Neoplatonician. But those definition
can be motivated through the thought experiences when assuming mechanism, in a
diverse way.

> Is it related to trying to prove statements of a form "Machine X cannot prove
> P”?

Yes. (And through mechanism, we can relate it also to the mechanist thought
experience, as it is the only thing linking consciousness to the machine, by
the “yes doctor” act of faith).

More generally, with “[0]p” interpreted by Gödel’s provability predicate
(sigma_1 complete) provable(‘p’), it is related  to

~[0]p
~[1]p
~[2]p
~[3]p
~[4]p

With the arithmetical, and non-arithmetical operators defined by

[0]p = the usual Gödelian provability predicate (beweisbar, provable, …).

[1]p = [0]p & p (knowable; This one cannot be defined in arithmetic, or by the
machine)

[2]p = [0]p & <0>t (observable)

[3]p = [0]p & <0>t & p (sensible; This one cannot be defined in arithmetic, or
by the machine).

> If I run a simulation of some entity on my computer, could I not prove
> statements about the knowledge/information states contained by it's mind?

Yes, you can, but only by assuming it has a (conscious) mind, which is
something that you cannot prove, even for humans, aliens, gods, whatever. You
cannot prove it about yourself either, despite you can know-it-for-sure.

> What exactly are the limits of what can be proved? Is it just about qualia?

It is about any Reality big enough to satisfy all your beliefs, where you is
any sound machine believing in any essentially undecidable theory, like the
very weak theory Q (Robinson Arithmetic).

No machine can define its own semantic. From the machine points of view, its
own semantic obeys many typical axioms of the One of the neoplatonician (not
nameable, not provable, not doubtable, not observable, yet responsible for
*all* the nameable, the provable, the doubtable, the observable).
With mechanism, in a first pass “god”, the One,  is the arithmetical Reality,
and in the second pass, when we interview the computationalist Löbian machine,
in fine, the One is the tiny sigma_1 complete part of arithmetic (aka the
universal dovetailing).

Bruno