From: smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Fri, Apr 2, 2021 4:48 pm
Subject: Re: Carlo Rovelli: The Old Fisherman's Mistake

On 02-04-2021 22:24, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List wrote:
> On 4/2/2021 1:10 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

>>> I don't know what you mean by "directly".
>>
>> I mean direct vs. indirect realism:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_and_indirect_realism
>>

>>>  We have a theory of how people see red flowers.  It involves photons
>>> and brain processes andred flowers that are in a location.  I'm
>>> pretty sure you're familiar with this theory.  Do you reject it?
>>
>> Do you mean the picture from Gray's book? It seems that you reject it,
>> not me. I accept this picture and I am just waiting until you accept
>> it.

>>> I don't know what "the virtual world theory" is.
>>
>> The theory you are talking about finishes by excitation of neurons in
>> the brain. Hence we must say that what a person sees is the brain's
>> reconstruction of the external world. So the person sees some virtual
>> world made by the brain, hence the name "the virtual world theory".
>
> By that interpretation every theory is a theory about a virtual world,
> so the word "virtual" is empty.  The whole point of any theory or
> model is that it's about something else, F=ma doesn't express a theory
> about m.  Notice that neurons are a theoretical construct as well as
> flowers.
>
> Brent

We can make theories about the real world and validate those in
experiments, but the brain's neural circuitry has implemented a virtual
reality that has evolved to match some important aspects of the natural
world, allowing our ancestors to survive. Certain concepts that we
experience like the experience of seeing the color red, being angry etc.
then only have a meaning at the level of the algorithm the brain is
running. While you can still reduce whatever is happening in the brain
in terms of the fundamental physical processes, to completely capture
the experience, you always need to construct the algorithm from the
fundamental physical processes.

Saibal

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/ebabb0cd664ab8299880910481cf51c1%40zonnet.nl.