On 4/1/2021 8:10 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
Am 31.03.2021 um 20:16 schrieb Brent Meeker:
Yes, in general he sees the flowers where they are located (I don't know what "physically" adds to "located").  He can reach out with stick and accurately touch the flowers.  He can throw a ball and hit the flowers. If the lights were extinguished, then he could walk to the flowers in complete darkness.  So there is evidence that part of seeing the flowers is locating them in his model of the world.

But it is also possible he has been deceived by a hologram of flowers or he is delusional.

But none the above is affected by whether he accepts the modern theory of vision or Plato's theory...which was Rovelli's point.

Let me first remind you that neuroscience rejects naive realism.

So does Rovelli.  So what?

To this end, I have attached a picture from the book Jeffrey A. Gray, Consciousness: Creeping up on the Hard Problem. It shows us that signals from the external world come to the brain and all conscious experiences results from brain's activity. So everything what a person feels including "He can throw a ball and hit the flowers" is basically generated by the brain (hence the name: Virtual world theory). Gray puts it this way

"For, just like those inner sensations, that world out there is constructed by our brains and exists within our consciousness. In a very real sense, the world as we consciously experience it is not out there at all: it is inside each and every of us."

When we speak about physical locations of objects - we speak about something that on the picture is shown as "Real unperceived world". When we talk about "He can throw a ball and hit the flowers", this belongs to three boxes at the bottom (conscious experiences) and this is clearly located somewhere else as the physical objects.

Do you agree with what neuroscience says? Or you prefer naive realism? In my view the attached picture makes a big difference to what Rovelli says. Yet, let us clear a position in the respect to the attached picture. Do we accept it or do not?

Only philosophically naive neuroscientists reject realism .  Gray imagines that because perception happens in the brain (a material object) that he can dismiss the physical world.  The physical world is a construct, but that doesn't mean it's unreal.  Here's Galen Strawson's explanation of why there is no "hard problem" of consciousness, with which I mostly agree: https://www.academia.edu/397808/Real_Materialism_2003