On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 2:29 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On 29-06-2021 01:46, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> >
> > I think John's trouble here is that he still adheres to David
> > Deutsch's concept of worlds. Deutch talks as though every component of
> > a superposition is a separate world. This leaves Deutsch no language
> > to talk about decohered worlds, pointer states, and all the other
> > usual apparatus of quantum interpretations. The trouble with taking
> > every component of a superposition as a separate world is that in
> > Hilbert space  (as in any vector space) you can define an infinite
> > number of different sets of basis vectors, so any vector in the space
> > is represented by an infinity of different worlds, and there is no way
> > to distinguish between these.
> >
> > I think Bruno has flirted with this idea as well. Deutsch, through his
> > popular writings, has done an immense amount of harm to the cause of
> > quantum interpretations.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> There ids a large body of rigorous work in this field, it's not that you
> have just a handful of advocates who are defending  the MWI based on
> dodgy nonrigorous arguments. Of course, you can't just take nay
> component of a superposition as a separate world.

But that is precisely what people like John, Deutsch, and Bruno do.

> But given that Worlds
> do exist

A world exists. That is all that we can be sure of.

> and given that time evolution is given as a linear operator, it
> follows that if QM is a fundamental theory that also describes
> observers, that you inevitably end up with superpositions of entire
> Worlds.

Worlds have to be carefully defined. According to decoherence theory (which
is also a consequence of the linearity of the Schrodinger equation),
decohered worlds are truly separate and do not recombine. Non-decohered
elements of a superposition do not constitute separate worlds.

> This conclusion does not depend on any assumptions of how observers
> should be defined rigorously, how experiments and ultimately
> observations arise out of the physics. These issues that are not yet
> 100% solved, are totally irrelevant provided QM is indeed a fundamental
> theory.
>
> It's not any different from someone claiming that conservation of
> momentum may not be true. How do we convince this person that it is
> true? We can appeal to fundamental laws of physics and argue on the
> basis of symmetries, Noether's theorem and then say that this rigorously
> establishes conservation of momentum. But the skeptic can then take
> issue with the assumption  about the validity of the fundamental laws,
> he will insist that it's still possible for momentum to get lost. If he
> does an experiment involving many particles, then he'll say that unless
> you measure the momentum of each particle to infinite accuracy, you
> can't really tell that momentum is conserved. He'll then turn the logic
> about the fundamental laws upside down by arguing that because you can't
> really be sure about momentum conservation, you can't therefore say that
> the fundamental laws have been all that well established.
>
> Of course, there is then a lot to argue about this reasoning suggesting
> that there is room for momentum nonconservation. But the arguments
> against MWI (regardless of whether or not you need to add Born's rule as
> a postulate and if so, regardless about any discussions about this then
> invalidating the original goals of some MWI advocates), are of the same
> nature.

Not really. You can accept the Schrodinger equation as fundamental without
agreeing to MWI. The fact that you can't derive the Born rule from the
Schrodinger equation in a non-circular fashion is quite telling. It means
that the Schrodinger equation is more naturally seen as a way of
calculating the time evolution of probabilities. QM is a probabilistic
theory, so its fundamental laws give probabilities. And probabilities are
not worlds.

Bruce

Here you have a supposedly fundamental theory, QM and it implies