On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 2:09 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>> Probability must be about something and that something had to either
>> have happened or have not happened; so it should produce a smear if and
>> only if the probability is greater than 0% but less than 100%.
>

> *>What does the probability have to do with the size of the detection
> spot?  The probability refers to how likely it is for a spot to appear at a
> location in many repetitions.  *

What if there are not many repetitions and it only happens once? After the
event is over you can say that the electron either hit that particular spot
or it did not hit that particular spot. After you perform the experiment
you can say the electron could end up anywhere but afterwards you know it
didn't go everywhere, and it didn't make a smudge, it made a particular
spot.

*> It says nothing about the size of the spot, which is determined by the
> detector.*

And what the detector does is determined by quantum mechanics, not
classical mechanics.

> >> Bohr was a great scientist but a lousy philosopher. If Bohr's
>> philosophy requires classical physics then obviously Bohr's philosophy is
>> wrong  because classical physics is a theory known to be incorrect.  As
>> Richard Feynman said "*Nature is quantum dammit!*"
>
> *> But all observations are classical,*

That is incorrect. No observation is classical because all observations
require instruments and all instruments work on quantum principles, even
the human eye.

>> There is nothing in Schrodinger's equation that says anything about the wave
>> collapsing, so Everett simply says it doesn't collapse and that means
>> you've got many worlds; it's bare-bones quantum mechanics that contains
>> everything that is required and not one more thing

*> Yes and it says nothing about probability or even measurement.  So it's
> just a free-floating equation with no intepretation?*

All equations require interpretations, but the simpler and more
straightforward the interpretation the better. The simplest explanation for
why something stopped is that it didn't stop.  And that is one of Many Worlds
two great virtues, the other one is that it doesn't have to explain what an
observation or an observer is so it doesn't have to wade into the endless
consciousness quagmire.

> There is absolutely nothing more certain than the existence of the self,
>> but there is nothing mystical about that; it's just that it's not a noun.
>> The self is what the brain does, not what the brain is, so "self" must
>> be an adjective. I would define the particular self called John K Clark
>> recursively, he is whoever remembers being John K Clark yesterday. If
>> Everett is right and every change no matter how small causes the
>> universe to split,
>

> *But Everett didn't say that.  He only said that an observation (which he
> left ill defined) split the world.*

Not so. It's true  Everett didn't explain what an observation is but one
reason I'm a fan of Many Worlds is that Everett doesn't need to explain
what an "observation" is because it has nothing to do with the theory. John
Wheeler, Everett's thesis advisor, made him cut out about half the stuff in
his original 137 page thesis and tone down the language so it didn't sound
like he thought all those other universes were equally real when in fact he
did. For example, Wheeler didn't like the word "split" and was especially
uncomfortable with talk of conscious observers splitting in a way that was
no different from the way non-conscious things split. Even more seriously
he made him remove the entire chapter on information and probability which
today many consider the best part of the work.  Everett also said that when
an observer splits it is meaningless to ask "*which of the final observers
corresponds to the initial one since each possesses the total memory of the
first*", he says it is as foolish as asking which amoeba is the original
after it splits into two. Wheeler also made him remove all such talk of
amebas from his published short thesis. His long thesis was not published
until 1973, if that version had been published in 1957 instead of the
truncated Bowdlerized version things would have been different; plenty of
people would still have disagreed but he would not have been ignored for as
long as he was.

>> there must be some changes to my brain that are so small (one neutron in
>> one neuron moving one Planck length to the left) that they cause no
>> change in conscious experience and do not degrade the memory of being John
>> K Clark yesterday. Therefore there must be an astronomical number to an
>> astronomical power of John K Clarks all living in different, very very
>> slightly different, worlds. The number would be HUGE but it would still
>> be finite, so the number of John K Clarks that see you flip a fair coin and
>> come up heads 5 times in a row must be twice as large as the number of
>> times he sees you do it 6 times, but there would still be a few that see
>> him do it 100 times, maybe 1000 or even more.
>
> *> That's a possible interpretation.  But it's not a mechanism for
> realizing the squared amplitude of the wave as relative frequency of
> worlds, which decoherence proposed to do.*

I believe you mentioned Gleason's Theorem, it says that if the quantum wave
function is related to probability then the square of the absolute value is
the only one that doesn't produce mathematical contradictions.

8gvo