Good questions.

On 7/25/2021 10:35 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:
This is indeed a historic moment for AI - protein folding is unbelievably complex and to now have a tool that can deal with that complexity is of inestimable value. But I do have these concerns:

  * It will be tempting to assume that DeepMind is correct on any
    given structure. But we don't have any easy way to test it. Of
    course, we can have a high degree of confidence that the predicted
    shape is accurate, and the value in that is already huge. But
    mistakes will be made based on this assumption.

Also, in a cell the folding of a protein is affected by things like salinity and even by helper molecules.

  * This tool can be weaponized to create new and even highly-targeted
    poisons. It's not hard to imagine developing a poison that was
    only toxic for people of a certain race and then delivering it via
    virus.

Actually that is pretty hard to imagine.  Since race is largely a social construction, it doesn't really correlate well with cellular metabolism.  We already know of some fungal diseases that tend to attack dark skinned people, but not with the mortality and specificity you could use as a poison.

Brent

  * Who has access to DeepMind?
  * Are we comfortable with a corporation controlling something so
    powerful and with potential global security issues? This question
    will only get increasingly more relevant as new advances in AI are
    made. Can the world ever hope to regulate something so
    simultaneously powerful and cutting edge?

Terren