On 2/27/2022 4:44 PM, Tomas Pales wrote:

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 11:45:32 PM UTC+1 meeke...@gmail.com wrote:

    On 2/27/2022 12:59 PM, Tomas Pales wrote:

    On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 8:50:02 PM UTC+1
    meeke...@gmail.com wrote:

        On 2/27/2022 8:43 AM, Tomas Pales wrote:
        On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 4:45:11 AM UTC+1
        meeke...@gmail.com wrote:

            This should be of interest to all the everythingists on
            this list.  I'd especially like to hear what Bruno
            thinks of it.  It's a bit expensive, so I may wait for
            more reviews before I take it up.

            /Birmingham-based philosopher Alastair Wilson has taken
            up the Herculean task of putting modal realism and
            many-worlds quantum theory together into a coherent,
            unitary view of reality. The results of this effort have
            been presented in several papers in recent years, and
            are now assembled in this thought-provoking book. While,
            as we will see, questions remain, Wilson has no doubt
            managed to come up with ingenious new hypotheses and has
            proposed solutions to existing problems and, more
            generally, with a powerful new modal realist view. The
            resulting perspective will certainly be of interest in
            the coming years, especially for naturalistically
            inclined philosophers, demanding that metaphysical
            hypotheses be made as continuous with our best science
            as possible./

https://ndpr.nd.edu/reviews/the-nature-of-contingency-quantum-physics-as-modal-realism/

            From the review I take it that Wilson has missed the
            intermediate kind of possibility, namely computability
            which is between logical possibility and nomological
            possibility.

            Brent

        I am not sure what is new here. Many-worlds interpretation
        of QM is obviously an example of Lewis' modal realism in the
        context of QM. As was discussed here some time ago, it may
        not even involve splitting of worlds. That is, all the
        quantum parallel worlds may be distinct worlds (objects)
        even before a measurement; they are just exactly the same
        before the measurement (exact copies of each other) and they
        start to differ at the measurement event. A regularity in
        the multiverse of these quantum worlds manifests in the fact
        that the worlds start differing in proportions given by the
        Born rule, based on the (same) state of the worlds at the
        moment of measurement.

        More generally about possible worlds or objects, I still see
        no difference between a world that is logically possible
        (consistent) and a world that "exists".

        Really?  It is logically possible that you don't exist.  So
        would the world without you have no difference from this world?

    A world without me is possible (logically consistent). A world
    with me is possible too, obviously. And so both worlds exist,
    because they are both possible.

    But they are certainly different.  You tried to infer that they
    must both exist because there is no difference between the one
    with you, which exists by observation, and the one without you.

No, I talked about two exactly same worlds (copies), with all the same properties, and I asked what it would even mean if one of them existed and the other didn't.

    A logically possible world is a world that is identical to
    itself, that is, it has the properties it has and does not have
    the properties it does not have. If two worlds have all the same
    properties except the property of existence (one exists and the
    other doesn't) what does it even mean?

    That only shows that a given world must either exist or not
    exist.  Maybe only worlds with Tomas Pales in them exist.  That's
    a different property.

It shows that if a given world is possible, it doesn't make sense to ask whether it exists. Because there is no difference between being possible and existing.

    And you know this last how:?

Because I see no difference between being possible and existing.

    So I see no alternative to modal realism.

    If we want to go into more details we may ask what properties a
    world or object may have and based on that we may differentiate
    between different kinds of worlds or objects, for example
    spatiotemporal worlds versus worlds that don't have a temporal
    or spatial structure. An important kind of property is relations
    between objects (relational properties), and the most general
    kind of relation is similarity, which holds between any two
    objects and thus is a necessary kind of relation. It just means
    that two objects have certain common properties and certain
    different properties. Mathematics as the most general study of
    relations explores the similarity relation as morphism in
    category theory and has reduced it to the set membership
    relation in set theory. Set theory is interesting to me in that
    it grounds mathematics in concrete worlds made of collections
    (sets), as opposed to abstract relations like numbers,
    functions, symmetries etc.

    But if all mathematically (structurally) and consistently
    characterized worlds/objects exist, it seems surprising that we
    live in a world with quite stable laws of physics that persist
    in time (along the time dimension of spacetime). Since reality
    is a mess of everything possible

    "Possible" is a rather ill defined concept and "everything
    possible" is even worse.  "Logically possible" doesn't fix the
    problem.  Logic is about language and propositions.  What is
    logically possible depends on what rules of logic one adopts.  Is
    it logically possible that Sherlock Holmes companion is both John
    Watson and James Watson?  Does a contradiction imply everything?

By "possible" I always mean logically possible (consistent) - an object is possible if it has the properties

    Properties are things we invent to describe objects. It's a muddle
    to imagine you can define objects by properties.  Does my car have
    the property of being insurable?

We need to define properties with precision in order to see if there is any inconsistency between them. The ultimate level of precision is mathematical precision where all relational properties are reduced to set membership relations, thus reducing the structure of an object to a pure set - that is, a set whose all members are themselves sets, all members of its members are sets, and so on, down to empty sets or maybe even without bottom.

So to know whether a world exist we must first reduce it's description to mathematical relations between sets.  Sets of what? What good is a criterion that can never be checked.

that it has and doesn't have the properties that it doesn't have. In other words, it is identical to itself. That's classical logic, and the only kind of logic that makes sense to me.

    Then I suggest you read some books by logicians.

Will they explain what is a circle that is not a circle, and similar nonsense?

No, about whether a true proposition requires that its referents exist.  Whether all propositions follow from a contradiction.  The scope of quantifications...  Whether you can quantify over relations.  Try

https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-About-Logic-Introduction-Philosophy/dp/019289238X/ref=sr_1_1

I think you have an impoverished view of logic.

Brent

    An object that is not what it is doesn't make sense to me. What's
    the deal with James Watson? Is it an alternative name for John
    Watson?

    Conan Doyle couldn't keep his imaginary world consistent and in
    some stories Holmes companion is James Watson and in some he's
    John Watson.  So I guess that world doesn't exist.

Well, if according to his description two different persons are the same person then a world with such a person cannot exist.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/ce9655dc-87ae-4fa1-9705-504d51072226n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/ce9655dc-87ae-4fa1-9705-504d51072226n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.