On Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 8:14:31 PM UTC+1 meeke...@gmail.com wrote:

But before we can assess whether something has a consistent description we
need to specify the description precisely. With a vague description we may
be missing an inconsistency lurking somewhere in it or there may appear to
be an inconsistency that is not really there. For example, if we try to
describe a quantum object in terms of classical physics the description
will not be precise enough and the assumptions inherent in those terms will
be contradictory. The ideal description would reveal the complete structure
of the object down to empty sets but we can't physically probe objects
around us to that level.

I think that's a cheat.   It's not that classical physics was imprecise.
> It was just wrong.  QM and Newtonian mechanics even have different
> ontologies.  If you're wrong about the subject matter no amount of logic
> will correct that.  Logic only explicates what is implicit in the
> premises.  It's a cheat to appeal to an ideal description when you have no
> way of producing such a description  or knowing if you have achieved it or
> even knowing whether one exists .

It's not a cheat, it's a complete mathematical description. Every
mathematical structure can be ultimately described as a pure set. Classical
physics and quantum physics have not been described as pure sets and so
they are not complete mathematical descriptions. The fact that it is not
feasible for us to achieve such a description of physical structures
doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.