>> To be honest, until recently I assumed that Sweden and Finland were not NATO
>> members for cultural reasons. Perhaps a certain Nordic sense of
>> independence. I now realize that this was mostly an appeasement strategy
>> toward Russia. In this case I am still in favor of them joining, because I
>> do not believe anymore that Putin can be appeased.
>
> I wonder if the Finns would like to take back the territory Russia took from
> them in the 1940 Winter War?

I don't know, but I have the impression that Finns tend to be pragmatic about
such matters.

>> To be honest, I am much more worried about Ukraine joining the EU hastily.
>> It is a huge country and I suspect it is still quite far away from economic
>> and even cultural alignment with the EU. I mean, let's be honest, they have
>> a neonazi gang as an official government force (the Azov battalion).
>
> How is that consistent with electing a Jew president? I realize the Jews in
> Ukraine were persecuted under Stalin and many emigrated to Israel when the
> USSR collapsed.  But is this neo-nazism real or is Putin's propaganda?

It is obviously the case that there is no neonazi majority in Ukraine, or even
close to that. As you say, the election of a Jew president makes it pretty
obvious that Ukraine is not a nazi state. That much is Putin's propaganda. But
it is also true that neonazis do exist, and that a neonazi military
organization became an official state force in 2014. You can read all the
details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

I believe that the above Wikipedia article is well source and includes
references to assessments by American intelligence on this matter.

I'm sure that Zalensky is not happy with the Azov Batallion and vice-versa, but
for now they both have more pressing matters to worry about. If you want an
even more absurd factoid: some weeks ago a Portuguese court agreed to allow a
convicted Portuguese neonazi to travel to Ukraine to join the resistance (and
it was clear he was in contact with neonazis in Ukraine, who are probably
linked through international networks):

https://www.sabado.pt/portugal/detalhe/tribunal-autoriza-viagem-de-mario-machado-a-ucrania-por-situacao-humanitaria

I think there is some context here, that perhaps Americans do not fully
appreciate (and apologies if you do): firstly, that the URSS created a
narrative where nazis were all from the west, and that the peoples that were
subsequently assimilated by the soviet space were completely innocent. Germans
who were brought up in the RDA were indoctrinated to believe that west Germans
were solely responsible for nazi crimes. On one hand, this remains to this day
a divisive issue in German society (even though mostly present in the East). On
the other hand, it seems to be paradoxically correlated with the appearance of
neonazi movements in post-soviet spaces.

Another important subtly here is that what Putin and his regime means by "nazi"
(and again, I believe this is inherited from the soviet perspective) is not
exactly the same that the west means by "nazi". For Putin, the defining
characteristic of a nazi is being anti-Russia, and when we accuses someone of
"nationalism", what he refers to is to the desire of having a nation
independent from Russia, which in his view is the only legitimate power in the
region.

Telmo