In today's issue of the journal Nature researchers report they have
developed a material that is superconducting in one direction but is a
normal conductor in the other direction, a superconducting diode, something
that had previously been thought to be impossible. They used a 2D layer of
a compound made of bromine and niobium (Nb3Br8) that is only a few atoms
thick. It only works at liquid helium temperatures, 3.86K or below, but
they're currently working on something that works at liquid nitrogen
temperatures ,77K, because liquid helium is about as expensive as champagne
but liquid nitrogen is about as expensive as milk. But even at the lower
temperature this is a big deal.  Mazhar Ali, the chief researcher, is
quoted as saying  "*Technology that was previously only possible using
semiconductors can now potentially be made with superconductors using this
building block. This includes faster computers, as in computers with up to
terahertz speed, which is 300 to 400 times faster than the computers we are
now using*."  I'm sure this will also be of enormous interest to those
wishing to make a quantum computer.

The field-free Josephson diode in a van der Waals heterostructure
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04504-8>

asd