Thanks Jason. The ant or the fish or the ape will retain whatever as long as it
produces survival, now, no longer just a biochemical thing. I once thought of
creating a comic where a room temp QC chip could be attached to a sponge in a
fishbowl. Developing consciousness, the chipped sponge decided he could do
better than hanging about the lab. Thus, Mr. Sponge along with bowl absconds
with a humanoid type, robot body, and a professors' English Fog trench coat to
seek his fortune in the city. Falling on hard times, Mr Sponge engages in a
life crime to sustain his interests, which is chiefly, the stock market, doing
muggings of elderly women from alleyways. At this point I ceased my comic
efforts because, I could either make Spongy a gang boss, or get him onward as
commander of a Hedge Fund? Beh!
My point is that with as physicist Greg Benford wrote of decades ago, you
Uplift something dumb into something smart and resourceful, you end of with the
nearly same result. A conscious colony of algae, forming a very bright
intelligence on Seti-Alpha 6 would eventually get to maths, metals, maybe
morals (if we humans ever do?), and gaze starward. Different starting place,
same eventual result.
The physics of the cosmos I will leave to you. Right now the only thing humans
can achieve currently is the nascent simulation entertainment industry. Yeah,
astronomers are doing good withs with computational astronomy. GIGO as far as I
am concerned. If the observations are accurate (and why not?) then their sims
are wonderful.
Benford also wrote a book 2 years ago called Re-write, in which he was one of a
few humans who were reborn into the same cosmos-worldline after they died,
retained memory of their pasts, and sought to make a more justice oriented
worldline. It's applied MWI, and was a nice story in the Heinlein sense of
things. Heinlein is one of the characters that carries knowledge past each
world.

I yak about MWI, but I'd rather have working solar power across the planet for
survival's sake.