There's very little we know for sure.  But most of us have confidence other people, dogs, birds, octopuses,... are conscious because they act certain ways.   And we even have some evidence about the level of consciousness based on behavior.  As AI is developed I expect we will further quantify and classify types and levels of consciousness.

Brent