From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2022 12:22 pm
Subject: Quantum Computing

In yesterday's issue of the journal Nature there is a report that in my opinion
is one of the most significant advances in the field of quantum computing.
Scientists not only used a scanning tunneling microscope to make a functional
quantum processor that is composed of 10 quantum dots placed with sub-nanometer
precision by a scanning tunneling microscope, they tested it by modeling how
electrons move along a polyacetylene molecule, a task conventional
supercomputers would have great difficulty with even for a molecule as simple
as polyacetylene. A penicillin molecule only has 41 atoms but a classical
computer would need to have 10^86 transistors to make a quantum mechanical
model of it. There are only 10^80 atoms in the observable universe. A quantum
computer would only need 286 logical qubits to do the same thing; yes those 286
would need to be high-quality qubits but thanks to quantum error correction
they don't have to be perfect.
Engineering topological states in atom-based semiconductor quantum dots

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2s%3DOPN_xagX_Jkh7iWpb6azEWfJTxfvduo7sbKqacqRA%40mail.gmail.com.