From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: spudboy...@aol.com
Cc: everything-list@googlegroups.com <everything-list@googlegroups.com>;
meekerbr...@gmail.com <meekerbr...@gmail.com>
Sent: Fri, Jul 1, 2022 7:27 am
Subject: Re: Quantum Computing

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 8:21 PM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> That's the thing JC, its not always rationality, or compelled rationality
> that rules us. Energy policy is performed outside of logic, or even greed,
> but ideology.

Sadly that is true.
 > Will an era of energy shortages compel the Greens to yield to reason

That's unlikely because, as you say, ideology is extremely resistant to reason.
No Ideologie has been formed through the use of logic so logic can't be used to
change an ideologue's mind , to do that you'd need some sort of dramatic road
to Damascus incident that had nothing to do with reason.

> if we were smarter would we have not already poured money into R&D for MSR
> reactors decades ago

 Yes, the Molten-Salt Reactor at Oak Ridge was remarkably advanced considering
it was built in the early 1960s, and it was very successful achieving all its
design goals and more. It's only disadvantage, or at least it seemed like a
disadvantage of the time, was that it produced virtually no Plutonium that
could be used in bombs, and that was considered to be a wonderful side benefit
of the light water Uranium reactors we use in most reactors today.  CANDU
reactors are the exception to that, but the Oak Ridge reactor used liquid fuel
which is inherently safer than solid fuel, CANDU still uses solid fuel.
John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  Extropolisboa