On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 7:29 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> The experimenter is just one copy*

And that pinpoints the error in your logic right there.

*> Many worlds does not explain why I, for example, see only z-spin-up and
> not z-spin-down. To make sense of that, we need a viable concept of
> probability and the Born rule.*

Gleason's theorem proved mathematically that if you want this thing called
"probability" to have the property that it is always positive and never
negative, and the property that if you add up all the "probabilities" they
always add up to exactly 100% , then the Born Rule can be derived from
quantum mechanics provided you make the assumption of non-reality
(sometimes called Quantum contextuality), that is to say if you assume that
an unmeasured quality does NOT have one and only one value. Many Worlds
does make that assumption, or rather it makes the assumption that
Schrodinger's equation means what it says, and once you do that you have no
choice but to accept non-reality. You can still save reality but to do so
you must make additional assumptions (such as the assumption that
Schrodinger's equation does NOT mean what it says), that's why some call
Many Worlds bare bones, no nonsense quantum mechanics, it has no silly
bells and whistles cluttering things up. And that's the sort of thing
William of Ockham would approve of.

I admit that does not prove Many Worlds is correct but at least it passes
its first test, and it proves that conventional everyday assumptions about
the nature of reality must be dead wrong; you're never going to find a
quantum interpretation that feels obvious and intuitively true and is also
consistent with experimental observations. So if Many Worlds is incorrect
then something even stranger must be true.

*> Many worlds does not explain why I, for example, see only z-spin-up and
> not z-spin-down.*

And Bruce Kellett does not explain what exactly the personal pronoun "I"
means in the context of Many Worlds. In Many Worlds for every state that
the laws of physics allows a particle to be in there is a Bruce Kellett
observing that state; so of course Mr. I will observe one and only one
state.

trb