On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 7:32 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >* it supports the idea that philosophical zombies could not be produced
> by natural (Darwinian) selection. But it say nothing about the possibility
> that such beings could be produced artificially; eg. via AI.*

*> That is strictly true, but it would entail that consciousness is some
> sort of side-effect peculiar to organic chemistry (or whatever the special
> ingredient is), and not a consequence of intelligent behaviour.*

But even if somebody believed that a carbon atom has some sort of magical
potential to produce consciousness that a silicon atom lacked I'll but they
don't believe that all structures that contain organic molecules are
conscious, such as a coal seam or a pile of dirty rags or a tree, because
those things are not behaving intelligently. I bet they don't even believe
their fellow human beings are always conscious, not when they're sleeping
or under anesthesia or dead, and for exactly the same reason.

sud