On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 10:09 AM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But it was my understanding that encryption is being changed to methods
> for which a quantum computer is no better than a classical computer and are
> effectively secure.

That's correct. Many quantum-secure algorithms have been invented already
and NIST is in the process of standardizing them. The issue is that until
we move to those algorithms, existing and past communications can be
exposed once a quantum computer is developed that can break existing
algorithms. Consider, for example, if some government agency were to store
all intercepted encrypted communications long-term. Then once a quantum
computer of sufficient power is created, they can go back and decrypt this
archive of intercepted encrypted communications.

Jason