On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 9:43 AM 'spudboy...@aol.com' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

*> face-palm. head-slaps*

> Million qubits chip a possibility, could enable practical quantum
> computers (msn.com)
> <https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/million-qubits-chip-a-possibility-could-enable-practical-quantum-computers/ar-BB1lXYMR?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=94a3fa0a098d4b31e5a5e07ffd920052&ei=35>

*This kind of, quantum computing-wise, a prediction from JC from a few
> years ago, regarding the achieving and impact. Seems corroborated in this
> article?*

> Quantum computing breakthrough could happen with just hundreds, not
millions, of qubits using new error-correction system (msn.com)
<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/quantum-computing-breakthrough-could-happen-with-just-hundreds-not-millions-of-qubits-using-new-error-correction-system/ar-AA1nRyvI?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9124678b56804386d12c6b7cf41435e9&ei=50>

*Denis Mandich, is the chief technology officer for the quantum computer
company "Qrypt" and is quoted as saying:*

*“With just 300 logical qubits, you have more compute power than has ever
existed and could ever exist if you turned every atom---every atom in the
universe---into a supercomputer,”*

*We don't know how good quantum error correcting algorithms can get but
estimates are that it will take between 10,000 and 100,000 of today's best
physical Qubits to make one logical Qubit that has an error rate of 10^-15,
which is what you need for a quantum computer to become practical. And as
of today, the lowest physical Qubit error rate so far was 10^-6, one error
per million operations, achieved by researchers in Sydney Australia. The
better the physical Qubit is, the fewer of them you need to make a near
perfect logical Qubit, and I have no doubt that over time both physical
Qubits and quantum error correcting algorithms will get better, but I don't
know how much time or how much better.*

eqq