On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 4:46 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *The electoral college system is idiotic because it allows losers of the
> popular vote to win the election. *

*Yes.*

> *> But it's not the reason for the two party system.  Notice that third
> party candidates are still spoilers in races for governor or senator which
> don't have an electoral college system. *

*I know, and third-party candidates can also be the spoiler in presidential
elections. We can thank third party candidate Ralph Nader for giving us
George W. Bush (and the Iraq war) and thank the third and fourth party
candidates of the Green and Libertarian party for giving us Donald Trump
(and the most anti-environmental and anti-libertarian president in American
history).  In the 2016 presidential election the fringe party candidates
got about 5% of the popular vote, but none of them received even one
electoral vote, much less the 270 they would need to become president. *

*> the founding fathers deliberately sought a two party system because they
> saw third parties as giving two much power to minorities.*

*The founding fathers wanted no political parties at all, that's why they
are not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution; George Washington warned us
about the dangers of any political party in his farewell address in 1796:*

“Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn
manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.”

*But we failed to heed Washington's wise advice, and that's why today
Republicans think of themselves as a Christian first, a Republican second,
an American third, and a human being a very distant fourth.  *

acf