On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 12:55 -0300, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> While we're here, do you think it would be a good idea to
> migrate away from the hard coded list of vcard labels/ids ?
>
> If you're going to redo the UI anyway, it might be a good
> idea to move towards something more flexible, with UI
> functionalities such as:
>   o Add a new email/phonenumber/address
>     - When adding a new phone number, let the
>       user enter their own label, a user may have
>       one or more "HOME" phone numbers, etc
>   o Delete an email/phonenumber/address
>   o View all emails/phonenumbers/addresses regardless
>     of whether they are in any hard coded list of labels
>
> With the possibility of synchronizing your addressbook with
> another addressbook (on your mobile or wherever), it would
> be interesting to support the data which can be found in
> a given vCard that may not have been created by evolution,
> in which case it becomes important to read the whole vCard
> for what it is.
>
> However, I suppose there might be localization issues with
> this, I suppose the hard coded fields that evolution lets
> you edit have translatable labels in the UI, perhaps there
> is some not-too-difficult way to allow both (to be honest,
> it's possible that evolution at least lets you view all
> of the emails/phonenumbers/addresses, I'm not sure, but
> at least allowing that would be worthwhile).

        Hi,
it sounds like Patrick Ohly's "[Evolution-hackers] custom labels"
discussion [1] from this year's spring. That's much more work than
just replace custom widgets with a stock expander.

See thread [1] for more details.

But, if Christian will be willing to dive into it, then I'm all for it
and I'll be glad to help him.
        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-hackers/2014-April/msg00006.html