On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 18:14 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 12:55 -0300, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> > While we're here, do you think it would be a good idea to
> > migrate away from the hard coded list of vcard labels/ids ?
> >
> > If you're going to redo the UI anyway, it might be a good
> > idea to move towards something more flexible, with UI
> > functionalities such as:
> >   o Add a new email/phonenumber/address
> >     - When adding a new phone number, let the
> >       user enter their own label, a user may have
> >       one or more "HOME" phone numbers, etc
> >   o Delete an email/phonenumber/address
> >   o View all emails/phonenumbers/addresses regardless
> >     of whether they are in any hard coded list of labels
> >
> > With the possibility of synchronizing your addressbook with
> > another addressbook (on your mobile or wherever), it would
> > be interesting to support the data which can be found in
> > a given vCard that may not have been created by evolution,
> > in which case it becomes important to read the whole vCard
> > for what it is.
> >
> > However, I suppose there might be localization issues with
> > this, I suppose the hard coded fields that evolution lets
> > you edit have translatable labels in the UI, perhaps there
> > is some not-too-difficult way to allow both (to be honest,
> > it's possible that evolution at least lets you view all
> > of the emails/phonenumbers/addresses, I'm not sure, but
> > at least allowing that would be worthwhile).
> >

>         Hi,
> it sounds like Patrick Ohly's "[Evolution-hackers] custom labels"
> discussion [1] from this year's spring. That's much more work than
> just replace custom widgets with a stock expander.

That could be part of it. The more important aspect (to me at least) is
the increased flexibility (no longer limited to a fixed number of
telephone numbers/emails/etc.) and easier access to information. In most
cases, all data will fit into one page, while at the moment one has to
switch between different tabs to see everything.

Bye, Patrick