> How can I help debug this?  It's bitten me more times than I care to
> remember.  I tried to "gdb evolution `pidof evolution`", but that didn't
> do a whit of good.

You'd have to be running the gdb from outside of X. Next time it
happens, try switching to another vt, attaching a gdb to evolution-mail,
and seeing if it's doing anything interesting/suspicious ("thread apply
all bt" is a good start). I'm not sure if it would be anything that
would be visible at that point though...

-- Dan