On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 23:53, Dan Winship wrote:
> > I'm not sure why we get down the whole header, I think the idea was that
> > it was about as expensive to get the whole header as just a couple of
> > header entries, perhaps this isn't the case.
>
> The way you're supposed to do it according to the IMAP maintainer is to
> just request ENVELOPE for each message, and maybe that's what Mozilla
> does. But in addition to the stuff in ENVELOPE, we also need References,
> any header that could be a mailing-list identifier, and any header that
> the user is using in a "specific header" filter or vfolder rule. The
> IMAP provider doesn't have access to that info anyway, and it just
> seemed much simpler to fetch the complete headers.

vfolders arne't allowed to use specific headers, and filters can use the
whole message anyway.

But for mailing list determination, there are a bunch of headers that
may be needed and the references headers, so ... i see why we just get
all the headers down.  I suspect some of the disk caching build process
is slowing it down a fair bit though.