Hello,
there are some hidden options to enable that, they are on by default,
but if you use trunk/svn and scheme install failed for you, then the
option is off.

Try create/check these bool values in gconf editor:
/apps/evolution/mail/display/thread_latest
   (Whether sort threads based on latest message in that thread)

/apps/evolution/mail/display/thread_expand
   (Default value for thread expand state)

There is no UI option for these values at the moment.
        Hope that helps,
        Milan