Mats Taraldsvik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I got so annoyed with the undescriptive subject lines it's learning
> alerts ( itslearning.com ) (and my university) uses, that I wrote a
> Python script (attached) to take care of this.
>
> -> I added a filter rule to pipe the mail to this script.
>
> It uses an smtp-client in python standard library to send mail to
> evolution, and regular expressions to get info from the contents and add
> to the subject line.
>
> I can help with tweaking the script, if you find use for it.
>
> Regards,
> Mats Taraldsvik
>
> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:22 +0100, andy wrote:
>
>> Reid Thompson wrote:

>>> Edit as New Message, Save Draft does create a 'new' message -- it's
>>> essentially a copy with modifications.  The Message-id is changed
>>> i.e. the message id from your email
>>>
>>> Edit as New Message, Save Draft
>>>
>>> the message id from the Draft
>>>
>>> and placing both emails in the same folder with threading on, lists the
>>> draft as a thread child to your email
>>>

>> Dear Paul, Reid, Patrick & Pete
>>
>> First off, thank you very much for all of your replies and
>> suggestions. Those are all very much appreciated and there are a
>> number of pretty decent workarounds contained therein.
>>
>> My wife has seemingly stumbled on a fix that she feels comfortable
>> with which is a variation of something already suggested: she will
>> merely forward these emails to herself with the subject line she wants
>> that will be meaningful to her and delete the original. It's a bit of
>> a pain, but I will monitor some of those emails and see if there is
>> some way that I can (semi-)automate this process - e.g. when an email
>> from Companies House arrives, set a rule to forward it to her email
>> address and so it will pop-up waiting for a new subject line.
>>
>> Once again, thank you so much from both of us!
>>
>> You're a good crowd.
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry
>> about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Mats

Thank you for sending me this code/ programme - that's very generous of you!

Not being a programmer, but familiar with some basic Python, please let
me know if I have understood this properly:

The programme is executed before Evolution retrieves emails from the
server, iterates through the emails on the server and, according to
specific terms of the regular expression, will retitle subject lines.
 From there, it passes the function back to Evo to download the emails.

Is that a correct reading of the code's functionality?

If so, I presume that there is an option within Evo to execute code
before it runs its mail fetch or mail send operations, and that this
code would be called at that time?

Once again, many thanks Mats for your generosity in sharing this and in
your offer of help. That was really thoughtful of you.

All the best

Andy