On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 10:28 -0400, William Case wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 14:11 +0530, Johnny Jacob wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 12:47 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > Every time I send or receive mail I get a warning message at the bottom
> > > of my Evo window telling me "Error while fetching mail".
> > >
> > > In fact, there never seems to really be an error or problem fetching
> > > mail.  The warning goes away after a minute of two.
> > >
> > > I have checked my standard logs and can't seem to see anything
> > > untoward.
> >
> > No information from help-> Debug Logs ? Also when the warning comes up
> > you can cliec on the information icon, it'll popup the warning dialog
> > with more information.
> >
> Additional warning:
>
> "Host lookup failed: pop.braodband.rogers.com: Name or service not
> known"
>
> Never noticed that Help => Debug before. Is it new? Too bad you can't
> cut and paste from it.

Amen to that. I assume it said pop.broadband.rogers.com, not
pop.braodband.rogers.com.

> However, when the warning appears at the bottom of my window it appears
> with a little encircled x at the end.  When I click on that the message
> goes away,
>
> As I said in the first post, the host lookup seems NOT to fail; my
> service is found; and, my mail is fetched.  It is just mildly annoying
> and perhaps a warning of things to come.
>
> I am using Fedora 9 and on the Fedora mailing list there is some
> discussion of problems with the timing of NetworkManager.  This evo
> warning and that issue may be related ??

AFAIK Evo asks NM if the network is connected, so if NM says "no" I
would hope for a more intelligible message, but maybe I'm an optimist.
OTOH NM could be saying "yes" when in fact there's a problem, which
would jibe with what you're seeing.

poc