On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 21:56 -0400, Carpetnailz wrote:
> I'm running Evo 3.4.4 on Fedora 17.
>
> About half the time or so when I do Send/Receive, I get this error
> message:
>
> Error while Fetching Mail.
> Could not connect to mail.researchintegration.org: I/O operation timed
> out.
>
> Sometimes one or two of the three accounts I'm connected to there
> download before the error occurs, sometimes none. About half the time it
> works OK.
>
> The host of my domain says they've checked and their system is ok. Also,
> my wife, using Mac Mail, doesn't have these problems. And the problems
> occur for me at work as well as at home. My other internet connections
> do not seem problematic.
>
> I tried switching from tls to no encryption, but that did not help.
>
> Thanks.

Update: I had pretty much decided the problem (getting I/O timeout with
Send/Receive on Evolution--doesn't seem to affect sending new email) lay
in my Motorola 5101 modem from TimeWarner. It may still lie there but I
just noticed this: My wife is out of town for a week. She uses a Mac and
Mac's Mail, which is on all the time. With her gone, I haven't had any
problems with my Evolution mail failing to connect ("Error while
fetching mail from .... Could not connect to .... I/O operation timed
out"). So I pulled out an old MacBook and sure enough, as soon as I
turned on Mail, I started getting the timeout problems again. Turn off
Mail and Evolution mail works fine.

Interestingly this does not happen on this computer at work, in a small
office where the boss uses Mac and Mac Mail all the time--even when he
was using earlier versions of Mac.