On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 18:42 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > > Almost certainly from your network stack; and my $$$ would be on your
> > > ISP/customer router.
> > >
> > So it's this way?
> > -the router (Linksys WRT350N) is creating the time out (or something
> > else in the "subsystem")
> > -it aborts the mission and somehow signals Evolution, which then pops up
> > the timed out message
>
> Sort of.  Your computer will send out ethernet packets to the internet
> via the router.  The packets that it sends out originate in Evolution
> via system calls.  Evolution doesn't create the packets, somewhere
> further down the ethernet software stack does that, evolution just tells
> the operating system what to put in the packets.
>
> Once a packet is sent out, the system sits and waits for a response (as
> instructed by Evolution), if there is no response received in a specific
> time, then the operation times out.  The reasons that no packet has been
> received back are numerous - the remote end may be down, there may be a
> network problem, or some hardware may be malfunctioning.  There is no
> way to say for sure without extensive logging and tracing at both ends.
>
> Once the network operation has timed out, the OS tells the originating
> program, i.e. Evolution, what has happened, and it is up to the program
> what it does then; Evolution happens to pop up a message about it,
> others may silently try again a number of times.  The timeout on the
> network operation is, I think, set by the OS, not the application.
>
> The bottom line is that the timeout is NOT Evolution failing, it is
> merely reporting a failure elsewhere in the system.
>
> P.
Thanks. That helps. I've decided there's something funky with that
particular wireless router's wireless that's causing the problem. I've
now got a different non-wireless router installed; everything works fine
when I go directly through it via Ethernet cable; I'm just using the
wireless part of the WRT350N as an AP; I'm getting the same problems as
soon as I go through it. And I don't seem to have the problems going
through other wireless systems.

Thanks to all.