On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 01:50 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 01:39:20 +0100
> Ángel González <an...@16bits.net> wrote:
>
> > Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > >
> > > I doubt there is a MUA that is going to nicely handle full-text
> > > search of very large mailboxes.  You really need an index to handle
> > > that type of search - and I am not aware of any MUA which indexes
> > > message *content* [vs. headers and meta-data].
> >

> > What about evolution ibex then?
> > Or thunderbird's gloda [1] (yes, it does include message bodies)
> >

> > Not that I like them, though. Personally, I prefer to pay the IO/CPU
> > penalty when performing searches (almost always restricted to an email
> > subtree) than paying the space one duplicating the account data in a
> > search index.
> >
> > But I understand that fulltext indexing everything suits other
> > people's workflow.
> >

> > 1- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/rebuilding-global-database
>
> I misunderstand your request and thought that you were searching within
> one message. Indeed, I can confirm that searching for a keyword in the
> message's bodies, in a folder with tons of messages takes very long and
> often the results are terrible. I experienced Mozilla's, e.g.
> Thunderbird as very fast and providing correct results. As already
> mentioned, I'm using local POP accounts the size of the mailboxes might
> be several MiBs, perhaps GiBs.

I seem to have touched off a bit of a discussion here...

It sounds like Evolution's indexing support is very protocol-specific.
I guess my specific question should be:  Does Evolution EWS support
full-text indexing?

If not:  It seems like the functionality does exist for POP.  Is there a
known interesting technical reason why it would be hard to just enable
the same thing for EWS (when all e-mail is cached offline)?  Or is it
just a matter of "no one has gotten around to it yet?"

Thanks,
Adam