su. den 21. 02. 2016 klokka 16.38 (+0000) skreiv Pete Biggs:
> > > This is not the way it's supposed to work. If I don't check the
> > > public
> > > key is trusted, why should I believe a message signed with it?
> > > Simply
> > > picking up the key with the message is tantamount to doing nothing.
> > > must either know the key beforehand (i.e. I have it in my keyring)
> > > or I
> > > fetch it from a public server and check who vouches for it.
> > >
> > > poc
> >
> > That's what I thought too. Like my friend and I. We physically
> > checked
> > each other's fingerprints too. We know who we are and who the key
> > belongs too. So of course we sign it and trust it.
> >
> Sorry, I've come a bit late to this bit of the conversation ...
>
> Signing a message does two things:
>
>  1) it verifies who the sender is and
>
>  2) verifies that the contents of the message haven't changed.
>
> In order to do both with any sort of veracity, you must know with
> absolute certainty who the key that the message is signed with belongs
> to.
>
> Merely adding a public key to the message does NOT enable you to do
> this.
>
> Remember that ANYONE can generate a PGP public/private key pair in the
> name of any person. So I can generate a key in Stig's name, write an
> email spoofing his email address sign it and add the public key to the
> email to "verify" the message ... would you accept it??  Even worse, I
> could intercept a message between Stig and his friend, edit the plain
> text, resign it with the bogus key and pass it on (with the public key
> attached so it can be "verified").
>
> No, you absolutely MUST NOT trust a public key attached to a message
> unless it has been independently signed and verified by a 3rd party
> *that you trust*.
>
> It is only through a web of trust created by signed keys that you can
> be reasonably certain that new keys are correct; and similarly, you
> must only sign keys that you know WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY belong to the
> person.  I have been involved with CERT PGP key signing parties in the
> past where the only valid form of identification is a passport and the
> person must be physically present - but you do get a key that most
> people trust!
>
> P.

Extremely useful information, a lesson to learn by heart. If not their
passport (I know that in some cases it's the only valid ID), at least I
have the habit of meeting people face to face, like people I really
trust, before signing and trusting their key. I only encrypt to people I
trust IF the message requires it. And I have other computers and emails
for that too. But I also agree with Snowden. Sensitive, personal letters
to friends, family, co-workers and the like, is a good habit. Tails/Tor,
Signal for phone ... Strange times, and we should protect ourselves - if
we know how to do it. There's good quality from people in here. I choose
to listen, learn - and then make my own choices.

Stig