I've been getting results like this fairly frequently from evolution;
when attempting to read a message (double clicking on it in the message
list) a notice like this appears:
Unable to retrieve message.Cannot get message
1578599196.1398_1004.amito from folder
/home/jonrysh/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.nancy: No such file or
directory

This is not surprising, since the file
        /home/jonrysh/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.nancy/15785991
96.1398_1004.amito
 does not exist.  However the file
        /home/jonrysh/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.nancy/cur/1578
599196.1398_1004.amito:2,Sdoes exist and contains what should be
displayed.  Evidently something is wrong with the index.  I had
displayed the message about 5 minutes earlier, before a reboot.  The
problem usually disappears after a while.  Can anyone tell me what's
going on, how to investigate it, how to prevent it, or how to recover?

System is Fedora-31
KDE-5.17 (I think)
evolution-3.34.2-1.fc31

Thanks - jon