On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 08:46 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what's going on, how to investigate it, how to
> > prevent it, or how to recover?
>
> I do not have an answer to any of your question, unfortunately, though
> I've a question for you instead. The only thing I know about this is
> that "it sometimes happens", but whenever I noticed it here and tried
> to investigate, which is months or even years ago, it magically
> disappeared and I didn't move any further. To my question:
>
> I see from the path that it's an On This Computer folder (as shown in
> Evolution's UI). How is that directory populated? Is it anything like
> "received by POP, then moved to the appropriate folder with filters or
> manually", or "moved manually from another account", or "populated by a
> 3rd-party software not managed by Evolution itself", or...? Even if
> it's the last option it should not matter (in some cases I'd say
> "touching internal Evolution files => expect anything", but not this
> time), because the Maildir structure should adapt appropriately. It can
> be that some part of the provider incorrectly constructs the path and
> causes this error. It may fix on its own when the provider rescans the
> directory, which is usually done the first time the folder is entered
> in the GUI.

The setup is simple: I run a single instance of Evolution and no other
email clients on any device.  Evolution has 4 active accounts:
 * Local (On this computer)
 * IMAP (imap.mail.att.net)
 * IMAP (imap.gmail.com)
 * Search Folders
The message in question arrived from imap.mail.att.net and was
transferred by a filter to a Local folder.  I was able to display the
message (as I wrote in my original message); after about 5 minutes it
disappeared; then after about half an hour it reappeared.  The problem
happens infrequently, say about once a month, and typically lasts a
while, anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.