Hi Ralf
That would explain it if the data was on the evolution-data-server as
that was not deleted.
A log file would have been useful

I normally use a wildcard with deleting with apt, so I checked what is
deleted with the wildcard,
and also stepped back through the CLI commands and I did use a wildcard
> The following packages will be REMOVED
>   evolution* evolution-common* evolution-data-server* evolution-data-
> server-common* evolution-plugin-bogofilter* evolution-plugin-
> pstimport*
>   evolution-plugins* libebackend-1.2-10* libebook-1.2-20* libebook-
> contacts-1.2-3* libecal-2.0-1* libedata-book-1.2-26* libedata-cal-
> 2.0-1*
>   libedataserver-1.2-24* libedataserverui-1.2-2* libevolution*
> 0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 16 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
> After this operation, 37.3 MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
> richard@richard-Inspiron-3580:~/.cache/evolution/mail$ sudo apt purge
> evolution*

But I didn't run the purge repeatedly  as it appears I should have done

Since changing from mbox to maildir, no warnings have appeared , the 3
dirs in cache/evolution/mail
are now one single directory plus a trash directory..
May be it will behave ????  have to wait and see
tnx
Richard