On Wed, 2021-07-07 at 12:35 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Yes, I see. It's still very visually ambiguous as they both appear to
> be selected.

        Hi,
I agree, though it's a question of the theme. I do not like unfocused
GtkTreeView draws as focused, in contrast to the message list, which,
at least here, changes the selection color from blue to gray when I
move away from it.

> Is there a programmatic way of changing the focus to the
> message instead of the folder?

Yes, there is. Would it be the message or the message list? Both have
its pros and cons.

> And add (say) right-arrow as a shortcut to manually select the
> highlighted message.

The Tab or F6 are the standard keys to move between widgets in the gtk+
applications.
        Bye,
        Milan