On Fri, 2021-07-09 at 07:20 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-07-06 at 11:29 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I agree that highlighting without selecting is confusing. I often
> > hit
> > an arrow key to move to the next message and instead find myself
> > moving to the next folder. I find this very counter-intuitive.
>
>         Hi,
> I tried it here, with the current development version, which is
> pretty
> much the same as yours 3.40.2 in this regard, and when I run
> Evolution
> in the Mail view, the message list is focused, thus using up/down
> arrow
> moves to the next/previous message.

That's not what I see. If I select a different folder and do nothing
else, one message is highlighted but not selected. The arrow keys move
up and down the folder list instead of the message list.

> Having selected the message itself, aka the message preview panel,
> the
> arrows would move with the message content, scroll up/down. I believe
> the message list focus is much better option here.
>
> It can be the focus changed after some action. That depends on the
> steps you do. Having always selected the message list isn't correct
> for
> sure. Actions like the magic spacebar and search do focus the message
> list.

Yes, but my point is that "do nothing" should also select the message
list by default. That seems to me the more natural policy.

poc