On Tue, 2022-06-28 at 10:30 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-06-27 at 11:13 -0500, Tim McConnell via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > Well I run dkpg -l | grep WebKitGTK and get libjavascriptcoregtk-
> > 4.1-
> > 0:amd64, I'm not sure if that's what your after.
>
>         Hi,
> I do not have a Debian machine handy. I think the WebKitGTK is called
> libwebkit2gtk.... The libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0 is part of the
> WebKitGTK, but what you pasted doesn't claim the version of the
> package.

Hi Milan,

Sorry running the command and searching for that  package I get:
 dpkg -l |grep libwebkit2gtk
ii  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:amd64
2.36.3-1

> > And since you folks deal with all things GNOME, Is Webkit a Gnome 3
> > thing
>
> No, the WebKitGTK is not a GNOME thing. It's a gtk+ widget, which can
> show web pages. Anything what uses gtk+ can use it. Evolution is
> using
> gtk+ and it has a hard dependency on the WebKitGTK as well. It
> doesn't
> matter what desktop environment you use.
>
> Try to install Epiphany, or even DevHelp, which both use WebKitGTK
> too.
> If they'll behave the same way, high CPU usage when opening a new tab
> (both know it with Ctrl+T) and showing a page in it, then the problem
> is somewhere under WebKitGTK. It can be your video drivers, maybe. A
> common problem is with hardware acceleration, which is enabled by
> default since WebKitGTK 2.36.x, if I'm not mistaken.
>
> You can try to run Evolution (or the other apps) as:
>
>    $ WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 \
>      evolution

Where do I put that? I tried it from a terminal and it caused a
traceback from the command not found program :-(

> and see whether it'll help with anything. Note the Evolution 3.44.1
> contains a change, which is supposed to disable compositing mode on
> its
> own.

Umm I'm on 3.44.2-1, I don't think it's working as advertised :-(