On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 12:43 PM Jaroslaw Rafa <r...@rafa.eu.org> wrote:

> Dnia 29.06.2022 o godz. 12:30:10 Tim McConnell via evolution-list pisze:
> > Unlikely but true, I copied one of the cron reports into an email and
> > attached the original one sent and sent it to myself in gmail.
> > My CPU stayed under 35% usage when it was opened in gmail (IMAP) both
> > the body and attachment didn't spike the CPU. I can send it if you
> > want)
> > But if I go into "On This Computer-> Inbox and view mail the CPU goes
> > crazy.  I could see if changing to a different font (not sure what
> > plain text uses) but I haven't changed anything like that since I
> > installed Bookworm.
>
> There are still a few *very basic* facts we don't know.
> 1) How large (average) are the messages that you have problem displaying?
> 2) What type of local mail account does your Evolution use? "Local
> delivery"
> (ie. *copying* mail from system mbox to Evolution-specific location), mbox
> (directly) or Maildir (directly)?
> 3) The above is connected with another question: what format does your
> local
> mail system use? mbox or Maildir?
> 4) If this is mbox, how large it is?
> Scanning a large mbox may involve significant CPU load.
>
> Without this information, actually very little is known about your local
> mail system. In my opinion, debugging any local mail related problem
> without
> this information is not possible.

I do not want to hijack a thread, but I too have had severe performance
impacts with WebKit (reported previously on the list) since it is not multi
threaded.  I prefer plain text, but as everyone knows, corporate america
has succumbed to html for the MS monster (exchange).  As far as the
difference between local accounts and IMAP accounts, I cannot speak to that
- I have not used evo for a local mbox or maildir account in over 15 years,
but the WebKit rendering is horrendous.  My previous threads to the list
show webkit was using a single thread (this on a 3GHz CPU) and taking over
3 seconds to render the email to my display.  I know we are at the mercy of
WebKit since that was the decision made, but damn - it is quite cumbersome
at times.

I would not quite using evo because of this since I would snip those
messages that took some time to render afterward before a reply, but the
snip takes time as well.