On Wed, 2022-06-29 at 13:34 -0500, Greg Oliver via evolution-list
wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 12:43 PM Jaroslaw Rafa <r...@rafa.eu.org>
> wrote:
> > Dnia 29.06.2022 o godz. 12:30:10 Tim McConnell via evolution-list
> > pisze:
> > > Unlikely but true, I copied one of the cron reports into an email
> > > and
> > > attached the original one sent and sent it to myself in gmail.
> > > My CPU stayed under 35% usage when it was opened in gmail (IMAP)
> > > both
> > > the body and attachment didn't spike the CPU. I can send it if
> > > you
> > > want)
> > > But if I go into "On This Computer-> Inbox and view mail the CPU
> > > goes
> > > crazy.  I could see if changing to a different font (not sure
> > > what
> > > plain text uses) but I haven't changed anything like that since I
> > > installed Bookworm.
> >
> > There are still a few *very basic* facts we don't know.
> > 1) How large (average) are the messages that you have problem
> > displaying?
> > 2) What type of local mail account does your Evolution use? "Local
> > delivery"
> > (ie. *copying* mail from system mbox to Evolution-specific
> > location), mbox
> > (directly) or Maildir (directly)?
> > 3) The above is connected with another question: what format does
> > your local
> > mail system use? mbox or Maildir?
> > 4) If this is mbox, how large it is?
> > Scanning a large mbox may involve significant CPU load.
> >
> > Without this information, actually very little is known about your
> > local
> > mail system. In my opinion, debugging any local mail related
> > problem without
> > this information is not possible.
> >

> I do not want to hijack a thread, but I too have had severe
> performance impacts with WebKit (reported previously on the list)
> since it is not multi threaded.  I prefer plain text, but as everyone
> knows, corporate america has succumbed to html for the MS monster
> (exchange).  As far as the difference between local accounts and IMAP
> accounts, I cannot speak to that - I have not used evo for a local
> mbox or maildir account in over 15 years, but the WebKit rendering is
> horrendous.  My previous threads to the list show webkit was using a
> single thread (this on a 3GHz CPU) and taking over 3 seconds to
> render the email to my display.  I know we are at the mercy of WebKit
> since that was the decision made, but damn - it is quite cumbersome
> at times.
>
> I would not quite using evo because of this since I would snip those
> messages that took some time to render afterward before a reply, but
> the snip takes time as well.

If it matters to anyone, I tried installing the devhelp GUI and
Epiphany web browser as Milan suggested to test Webkit as a whole.
Neither launches and if I try from a command line to launch either of
them it times out.
epiphany
Failed to register: Timeout was reached

I don't know if that is useful or not.