OK, this behaviour seems to only occur if you have focus-follows-mouse
enabled in Sawfish. If you run click-to-focus, everything works
normally.

What seems to happen is that every time you press delete, a new focus
event is generated, enabling the pop-down with the best guess about the
recipient, which gets filled in.