On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 19:08, Nat Friedman wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 19:09, Stephen Witkop wrote:
> > The only problem that I have with this is the timing. Ximian Connector
> > has obviously been planned for some time, so why wasn't it laid out
> > along with all the other plans for evolution. It just makes it seem as
> > though Ximian was afraid they would lose support among developers and
> > users so they didn't announce anything until they had what they wanted.
> > I'm not saying that's what they were actually doing but that's certainly
> > the way it seems.
>
> I can see how it might seem that way.  A big component of the timing was
> not wanting to announce it before we could start demoing it and giving
> out evaluation copies to potential customers.  We weren't trying to
> trick anyone, but we didn't want to announce it and then ask people who
> wanted to buy it to wait 6 months before they could see a demo :-).
>
> Best,
>
> Nat

I would agree with that. Ximian is a company that that needs to into
consideration such non-trivial details like revenue and saleable
products. Regarding the timing of the Connector announcement, I have no
problems with it. I am rather tired of hearing about great products,
commercial or open-source, eagerly bite my nails for 6-12 months, and
end up being disappointed with the thing when it finally does arrive.

Evolution is one of the best pieces of software I have seen on any
platform, and I am an ex-die-hard Mac user who has seen some awesome
applications. True, I still have some problems with Evolution (I still
can't get spell-checking to work), and some speed issues could be
improved, but the fact that Ximian put in all this work under GPL is
awesome.

In that spirit, I would volunteer for evaluating the Connector. We don't
have an Exchange server yet, but the beast is coming in the next few
weeks, and I was getting worried about the calendaring issue.

Ujwal