If you aren't using Connector, you can use a kludge that was tossed into
Evo 1.0 at the last minute for it. Quit evolution, run "killev", and
open ~/evolution/config.xmldb. Add a section:

  <section path="/Addressbook">
    <entry name="default_book_uri" type="string" value="LDAPURL"/>
  </section>

See:
http://support.ximian.com/cgi-bin/ximian.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_refno=011207-000005
for an example LDAP URL. (That article explains how to set up LDAP
autocompletion in the composer, which is something else you might want
to do.)

In Evo 1.2, this is much easier. You just go into the global config
dialog, select "Default Folders", and pick a new default contacts
folder.

-- Dan