tir, 2003-01-14 kl. 18:21 skrev Jason Tackaberry:

> It is, however, always a possibility to exploit buffer overflows in the
> Evolution to execute arbitrary code as the user running it.

How would an rfc822/2822 mail message do this? What sort of an
attachment would do this? "Click on this Linux executable and you'll be
born to heaven."

Or is Evo running as a daemon on an external interface? Or any
interface? Or would it receive streaming audio/video?

> But let's be realistic.  Any client that accepts data off the net is
> potentially vulnerable

Yes.

> so you should be more no concerned about
> Evolution than you would be by running Mozilla, or even xmms, as
> described here:
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/306476/2003-01-11/2003-01-17/0

The last has nothing to do with Evo.

> (I'm not sure the above posting isn't a hoax, but in theory it's
> possible.  Extremely complicated, but possible.)

Course everything viable is possible.

> Basically, if you're extremely nervous, build a kernel with a
> non-executable user stack (openwall patch), and build Evolution,
> Mozilla, etc. with Stackguard if you're extra paranoid.  You could also
> sandbox Evolution.

I can see it happening :-)

> But honestly, nobody is that paranoid.  Right? :)

I'm not sure the above posting isn't a hoax. Perhaps one of the Ximian
people could give us a run down on the whole thing.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw