I am newbe to discussion group but my solution would be:
1) to click on cell that you want total or value of cell of another
workbook
2)type = sign and then select other work book, sheet, and cell that
you want.
3) the resulting formula in that cell would be something like this:
='[junk2.xls]Sheet1'!$C$2

You could actually have a cell that might total two different cells in
two entirely different workbooks, eg:
='[junk2.xls]Sheet1'!$C$2+[junk3.xls]Sheet1!$A$1

This would not show the directory that the file is saved because all
three of the files are saved in the same directory.  If files are in
different directories, it will actually show the directories.

Hope this is helpful!!

T Dejong