Hi sir, and thank you for your assistance.

I like your macro very much.  Sadly, it does not bring joy.  However,
it has helped me to discover that the problem is not with my system or
version of Excel.  The problem is with the target files, which cause
cause Excel to crash on opening.  I suspect that the files have been
saved in Excel 2010 (is that Excel 13?) with features inimical to
Excel 2007.

I regret the wild goose chase down a blind alley, yet I am profoundly
grateful for the aid and the neat macro that you have provided.

I will have to mark this problem "Solved"

Warm regards,
-Sean-