The basic premise of a solution oriented approach is that it requires some
element of dynamic adjustment or a self corrective modus operandus that
will ensure proximity to correctness within a set of expected variations.

1. Your suggestion of having each column hard coded will (may) not suffice
the end user requirement. A simple and obvious reason would be that the
user will be bound from changing the order of the states vertically in the
front-end sheet, or horizontally in the back-end sheet.

2. It is not always a given that the count of activities will remain
constant at 17. Apparently, there are only 14 activities in the sample
provided.

3. Least intervention from an end-user perspective should be considered as
one of the criteria for a solution to be considered optimal.

Regards,

Sam Mathai Chacko