Hence my confusion.  Here is the code I am currently using.  Sounds
like you are saying the SET should
cause it to fail.
But it only works if I use the SET.  Otherwise it will not compile.

'   First let's copy everything we need into an array for efficiency
    With Sheets(RawData)
    Set tmprange = .Range(.Cells(2, BarOpen),
.Cells(.UsedRange.Rows.count, EContango))
    End With